Sam C. Bonney, senior partner of Bonney Law Firm, has been admitted to practice in New York State and Federal District Court for the Western District of New York since 1975. He has extensive litigation experience and has tried and won cases in County Court, Family Court, New York State Supreme Court, Court of Claims, and successfully argued appeals in the Appellate Division and the Court of Appeals. Most of these involved personal injury/wrongful death, medical malpractice, and real estate disputes.
Now Sam concentrates his practice in estate planning, probate and estate administration, and real estate (commercial, residential, and agricultural). He is a member of the New York State Bar Association’s Elder Law Section, Trusts and Estates Section, and the Real Estate Section. He is a past president of the Seneca County Bar Association.
Sam attended the College of Arts and Sciences at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, where he majored in economics. Under coach Ned Harkness, Sam played on the undefeated Ivy League Championship Lacrosse Team of 1968. His college career was interrupted by the Vietnam War, where he served as a member of a Construction Battalion of the United States Navy (better known as the Seabees). Sam was a heavy equipment operator stationed in Quang Tri near the DMZ. After his discharge in 1970, he enrolled at Albany Law School in 1971, graduated in 1974, and joined the Bonney and Nicit Law Firm in 1975.
• An active outdoorsman, Sam appreciates the natural beauty of the Finger Lakes and has worked to preserve it. He was a founding member of Finger Lakes Zero Waste and served on its board of directors. This organization was influential in preventing the construction of a leachate line from the Ontario County landfill to Seneca Lake.
• For more than twenty years Sam taught a course in legal ethics to police trainees at the Finger Lakes Law Enforcement Academy in Canandaigua, NY, the only such class taught at the time in New York State.
• Finger Lakes Volunteer Lawyer Service and Legal Assistance of the Finger Lakes recognized Sam for his exemplary contributions in providing pro bono services to indigent and disadvantaged clients in the Finger Lakes region. He is also a recipient of the Presidential Recognition Award for Outstanding Community Service by the United Way of Seneca County.
• Sam was a founding member and organizer of the Geneva Youth Lacrosse Program and also served as assistant coach in the Geneva Youth Hockey Program for six years.
Sam lives in Geneva, NY. He has been married to Mary Lee Bourbeau since 1982 and has two adult sons, Luke and Greg.
Gregory L. Bonney joined Bonney Law Firm in January 2016, after graduating with honors from SUNY Buffalo Law School and being admitted to practice in New York State. He is focused on developing comprehensive estate plans for clients through the use of wills, trusts including Medicaid Asset Protection Trusts, Supplemental Needs Trusts, Revocable Trusts and Testamentary Trusts, powers of attorney, and health-care proxies, as well as well as guiding clients through probate and estate administration. Greg also represents businesses and Not-For-Profits.
Greg is a member of the NYS Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section. He is admitted to practice in the New York State Courts and the United States District Court: Western District of New York.
• JD, SUNY Buffalo Law School magna cum laude (2015)
Greg earned a Juris Doctor degree, graduated in the top 5 percent of his class, and is a member of the Order of the Coif, the national honor society for the top 10 percent of American law school graduates. While in law school, Greg worked with Legal Services for the Elderly in Buffalo. He also served as law clerk for a firm handling plaintiff’s personal injury actions with a focus on lead-paint poisoning, medical malpractice, and mesothelioma, which is the cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
• BA Economics, State University of New York at Geneseo Magna cum laude (2011)
During his undergraduate years Greg also studied at Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand, and traveled extensively in New Zealand working as a farm hand on several organic farms. An internship took him to Gujarat, India, where he worked with the non-profit PRAYAS Organization in its Microfinance Department.
Kathryn A. Wojciechowski
Office Manager and Paralegal
Kathryn joined Bonney Law Firm in February 2015, bringing 30 years of valuable work experience as a real estate paralegal in several Western New York law firms with high-volume real estate practices. In addition to her legal experience, Kathryn has completed certificate courses in computer sciences and shorthand review, and has worked as a real estate agent and mortgage processor. She continues to focus on real estate and estate administration, and is responsible for the general management of our firm.
Residing in Geneva with her husband John, Kathryn has two adult children, Tammy Sue and Thomas, 10 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren.
A Finger Lakes native, Dana grew up in Gorham until attending college for two years at SUNY Fredonia (English, Political Science) and another two years at SUNY Purchase where she earned a bachelor's degree in Legal Studies. She has been a resident of the City of Geneva since 2009.